Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A-Rod Sponsors are surprisingly quiet


I’m sure if you watch ESPN, you’ve been spoon fed every insignificant minor detail of the Alex Rodriguez PED scandal. For those of you who know nothing about it, whilst I envy you, I’ll give you a quick run down. A-Rod as he is called, admitted to using PED’s(Performance enhancing drugs) in 2009. He had signed the biggest contract in MLB of over $275 Million with the Yankees in 2007.  Now 4 years later, A-Rod is at it again. He’s been suspended by MLB for this entire season and next season. He is still playing because he appealed the suspension. He was linked to the BioGenesis scandal for player doping. Furthermore, it came out a few days ago, that A-Rod’s people leaked documents to Yahoo, about other players who were using PED’s. So not only is he a liar and a cheat, now he’s a NARC.
Now that I’ve caught you up on Planet Alex, I want to dive into something more troubling A-Rod’s sponsorships. Before the recent, scandal A-Rod had endorsement deals with majorbrands like PepsiCo, Kraft Foods, Nike and Colgate. You’d think that after A-Rod’s big scandal these people would drop him. Let us examine who has, who hasn’t and who I couldn’t find out if they had.
            Nike has dropped Alex Rodriguez since. They really have a hard time picking athletes to represent them, first Tiger Woods, than Lance Armstrong, now A-Rod.
I searched all around but could not find anything to show that PepsiCo, Colgate, or Kraft Goods has withdrawn their sponsorships of A-Rod. It could be they have but I’ve yet to find anything. As of March 2012 they were still sponsorship partners with him according to Forbes.
How do these companies stick by these athletes? In the case of Tiger Woods and Nike, I can understand them coming back together. Redemption stories are top sellers next to the fall of a hero. Until Woods messes up again, I assume Nike will keep him. A-Rod has now messed up twice so Nike has cut ties. The other companies still baffle me. The guy is everything you don’t want your kids to look up too. When Rodriguez is making an extra 2-10 million on year on endorsements, I believe that is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment