Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Interview with Kelli Master of Kelli Masters Management

Our final segment on negotiations brings us to someone who I consider an inspiration. Kelli Masters is an Lawyer turned NFL agent. She is one of the leading females in a field that is dominated by men. She was kind enough to take time out of her Mothers Day to answer a few questions for me.


How long have you been in Sports Management?
I started working with athletes just after the 2004 Olympics.  I had been practicing law since 2000, and was contacted by two Olympians about representing them as they pursued marketing and appearances after the Games.  That experience opened my eyes to the world of sports agency. I became certified by the NFLPA in 2005 and have been working with NFL players (and still a few Olympians) since then.

What got you interested in doing this job?
As a former athlete and lifelong sports fan, working with athletes came naturally.  But it was not even on my radar in college or law school.  It wasn't until I had the opportunity to work with Olympic athletes that I began to consider sports agency as a profession.  The NFL intrigued me because I had done legal work for several former NFL players (on their nonprofit organizations), and saw the need for respectable agents who also practiced law.  Once I got certified and started representing players in the NFL, I knew I had found my calling.

What types of sport athletes does your company represent?
NFL and Olympians

Do you find the negotiation process to be fun or tedious? Why?
I actually enjoy the negotiation process.  It's not so much about ego and strong-arming the opposing side, as it is preparation and skill.

How do you separate the people from the problem when you are negotiating?
Interesting question.  Negotiating a sports contract is not terribly different from any other legal/business negotiation.  In football, there is very little mystery when it comes to the economic terms.  All certified agents have access to all previous contracts.  And when it comes to rookie contracts, the numbers are virtually non-negotiable.  But veteran contracts take into account comparable statistics, market values and a particular player's performance, durability, age, etc.  A negotiation in the NFL, as in most business deals, comes down to both sides making informed, well-supported, well-articulated arguments and being able to reach a reasonable compromise.

How do you handle positional bargaining tactics?
See my previous answer for this question!

What dirty tricks have you seen used in your experience that new comers to negotiating should look out for?
I don't know about dirty tricks in negotiation (though I've seen plenty in recruiting!) - but I would say it definitely pays to be fully prepared and very thorough throughout the negotiation process.  Don't make assumptions.  Ask detailed questions and double check everything.  

What is the one single most important piece of advise you can give someone just starting out in the sports management field?
Best advice:  never stop learning, and network network network!  It is both what you know AND who you know. 

If you'd like to learn more about Kelli Masters you can check out her website or follow her on Twitter @KMMsports.

No comments:

Post a Comment